Welcome to Fairy Tail RPG, where your visions come true through your words. You control the destiny of your character. Do you have what it takes to bring the world to order or chaos?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spells With Drawbacks

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

#1Raphaelo 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:15 pm

Raphaelo
Hey! When I was reading up on the spell rules to work on my starters, in the "Spell Range & Speed" section, I read something that I thought was really interesting. Next to the max range of the spells, there is mentioned the ability to extend that range through drawbacks. I was curious about this ability to strengthen spells via negative afflictions to the user, yet realized pretty soon that the only benefit from doing such a thing is an increase in range by 5 meters. While this sort of improvement is by no means insignificant, I feel like overall, this minor boost at the cost of pretty drastic repercussions doesn't seem particularly viable. So, what I'm suggesting is maybe we could do something to make spells with negative repercussions on the user more appealing!

Now, I wouldn't want these sorts of spells to become the new norm and completely outclass regular spells, but I feel like there could be some slight improvements that cold be made. For example:

~Maybe these sorts of spells could have minor increases all across the board, like 1.5x damage (granted it might be better to tone this down for higher ranked spells) and a slight increase in speed and max size along with range. Possibly they could cost slightly more MP than regular if the negatives aren't enough?

~Maybe there could be some element in choice in what could be boosted, and those single improvements could be big enough to sway people to use these sorts of attacks in dire situations, while the drawbacks would be restrictive enough not to encourage overuse of them.

~Maybe some other sort of improvement that might be more obvious/helpful

I feel of course, if this sort of suggestion were taken into account, and implemented, there would have to be a bit more regulation on what creates a valid drawback, as as of right now it is a little vague. However, such an improvement could really add a new aspect to combat on the site that would lead to some interesting situations. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and please tell me what you think! Any improvements/comments on this idea are greatly appreciated, as I want to see what others think of this as well.

Spells With Drawbacks QPGni1A
#2Geb 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:24 pm

Geb
Well, I have to agree with you that things other than range would be nice to be boosted. However, I feel these shouldn't be made through drawbacks that are more "open" so to say, not to restrict creativity, but because in some instances they are all subjective.

While the review team needs to be judgmental and look further than a spell's parameters before approving, I feel like it would be a bit troublesome, with some mistakes possibly being made, fingers being pointed, spells being voided mid-thread, etc. which is something I'd rather not have happen.

Following here is my own suggestion

However! Not to say there isn't another way to do this. What if, instead of sacrificing things that are subjective, we sacrifice things that are fact?

For example, perhaps a B-rank healing spell. You want it to have more healing effect, but you need to sacrifice something. In that case, a good idea would be to sacrifice range for a heal that is meant for close quarters, but cannot be used from far away. So, the healing spell would become A-rank in strength, but C-rank in range, right?

Now, the counterargument that someone is going to make I feel is that ALL spells people make will fall into this - but why not just limit it to a few spells per rank? Call it a "Talent Spell" or something. Perhaps you could get one per rank, or even more, you get one and it ranks up with you?

Just figured I'd throw my two cents in there.

Spells With Drawbacks BORZAPv
#3Kon 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:31 pm

Kon

+1

#4Raphaelo 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Raphaelo
@Geb I hear you with the idea of drawbacks being "open" and a bit vague. That's why I sort of briefly touched upon that by saying we might have to be clearer than how the current rules are, because as of right now all they say is:

"It is possible to use the extended range if the user adds a major drawback to the spell in the effects, such as incapability to move afterwards, long self stun, passing out, inability to use spells for a while etc."

Which, while is descriptive of the sorts of effects, seems like a lot for just 5m extra, especially if these drawbacks are the same throughout all ranks of spells. I think these sorts of drawbacks are fine, so long as they are partitioned out to escalate along with the spells (for example, a D rank spell limiting the use of the limb used to cast the spell for two posts or something).

As far as your idea goes for being able to choose the traits your spell specializes in, I think that that's certainly a feature that would help make different magics have the ability to be more unique, and if handled correctly, could add a lot more zest to the system as well; although I feel that it's a somewhat separate topic from this one. Also, a concern with that sort of system is that we would have to be somewhat wary of those who would min-max certain combinations of spells to try breaking things (my spell has no speed and an incredible small range, just around me, but it does S rank damage at B rank as compensation for those stats being lowered).

@Konstantin +2

Spells With Drawbacks QPGni1A
#5Tenshi † 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:13 pm

Tenshi †
Hey there!

So, what you're suggesting is a definite possibility. The concept of people sacrificing on some elements to boost others is something that is widely seen through both anime and RPG's alike. People who focus certain aspects, or special moves that allow for a little something extra. DBZ had "Bulk Up" as a perfect example of this- Drastic increase in strength for an equal decrease in speed.

The problem is implementation right now. The site is still currently rolling out regulations. To change an already new magic system suddenly, while it might not add much to the characters side, would add quite a bit to the Review team. There are a lot of very imaginative members on this site, who already make the most out of every spell.

This is not a deterrent from ever utilizing the idea. On the contrary, I both like it and would love to see it in use. It is however me pointing out that it likely won't see the light of day for a couple of weeks (or months, depending). When it is implemented, there will be a way to ensure that members who perhaps have already used all their spell slots will be capable of utilizing this.

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I'm going to leave this open for a while so you guys can bounce around ideas on the subject since it seems popular!

Spells With Drawbacks D09aavQ
#6Tenshi † 

Spells With Drawbacks Empty Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm

Tenshi †
This thread has been answered and conversation has ended. It will now be moved.

Spells With Drawbacks D09aavQ

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum