Welcome to Fairy Tail RPG, where your visions come true through your words. You control the destiny of your character. Do you have what it takes to bring the world to order or chaos?

You are not connected. Please login or register

Checkmate [Quest: Kazimir]

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

#1Kazimir Seiryu 

Checkmate [Quest: Kazimir] Empty Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Kazimir Seiryu
Kazimir had been taking on many physical tasks recently. Willing to work whatever deeds needed to be done, but was relieved when he came across this. Although he was bad at chess, a game he rarely played, it was a nice thought to get back to some more mental tasks.

The town was a maze of streets and he was almost lost among the alleys and walkways. He luckily emerged at a park. It was the turning of the season and the leaves dripped off branches in an array of autumn hues.

The park was swarmed by dozens of inhabitants on this nice day, but it never felt too crowded or lost any majesty. He walked down the grassy path searching for the quest giver. Soon he heard a young boys voice, “Checkmate!”

“Ah, there you are Bart.” Kazimir crossed the park to see a person angrily standing up from the lone chess table with Bart and storming off. The table was placed in the open green area. There were no high trees around. Only a few bushes dotted the landscape and the occasional bench. If anyone was dedicated enough to spectate one of Bart’s games, they would have to stand.

The young boy sat back fixing his glasses and sipping on a juice box. He had a little briefcase next to him that was his form of a backpack. Perhaps an attempt to be seen as mature. No others came forward to test his skills.

Kazimir walked across the grass, the blades folding beneath his feet. The wicker chairs looked sturdy as he sat down to introduce himself before he was officially invited. “Hello, Bart. I’m a Rune Knight. Kazimir Seiryu. I’m here to answer your request.” He extended his hand to the child.

Bart seemed a little surprised by the formality. He placed a finger on his glasses to adjust them and accepted the handshake, “Bart Decker. Pleased to meet you. I hope you can challenge me.” He said as his side of the board was already almost reset for their match.

Kazimir didn’t rush to align his pieces and chose to savor this moment. Bart took notice and addressed it, “You like to take your time. I suppose it’s okay. The game may not last long. It’s not you of course, so I hope you don’t take offense.”

A smile crept onto Kazimir’s face, “I see. It must be tough being at the top. Hmm” Bart was rattled again at the curt nature of the mage. Bart had not realized yet but Kazimir had already relegated himself to defeat in the game. It was a different mental exercise that Kazimir sought victory in.

All I need to do is just keep him at bay in the game long enough. Just need to survive, Kazimir thought to himself. Bart still waited. Being a champion at chess had given him patience. Finally, Kazimir had his pieces in place. “Well then shall we begin,” he asked.

“Of course, I’ll make the first move,” as he slid a pawn two spaces forward.

Word count 511/1000

#2Kazimir Seiryu 

Checkmate [Quest: Kazimir] Empty Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:39 am

Kazimir Seiryu
Kazimir mirrored his play and moved his pawn. The game had begun in earnest as they marched their pawns forward and knights gallivanted around the board. Trampling over pawns and cutting a path for the reinforcements.

“It must have taken you a long time to get this good,” Kazimir said as he slowly began to be put on the defensive. He maneuvered his pawns to act as shields and positioned rooks to counter an impending drive.

Bart knocked over a pawn with his knight, making a clank as it bounced against the board, “I practice a lot. I have to be the best. You could use a bit more.”

The mages window was now open as he lost another piece on the board and took one of Bart’s pawns with a bishop, “Why do you want to be the best?” He didn’t wait for the answer to that question before staring at Bart with a contemplative glare and asking, “What drives you?”

Bart’s eyes widened, and the sun gleamed off the rim of his glasses. “I need to beat my brothers and make my parents proud.” Even though he was taken by surprise from the abrupt question he moved his rooks in, taking Kazimir’s knight. A play that he accomplished due to Kazimir’s inexperience.
“I see. Your parents want you to be a champion chess player?” Kazimir asked the question as a bridge to something deeper. He assumed Bart’s parents had bigger plans for him but needed to find out what it was.

“They are always pushing me harder…sometimes it’s tough to handle.” Bart began to close in on Kazimir. “You’re playing a pretty defensive game.”

The mage didn’t react but felt anxious that Bart was on to his plan. Then again, he may know he is playing defensive but not his motives behind it. “I don’t play very much. You're seeing my inexperience, I suppose.” In order to change the tone, he made an aggressive play costing him rook in exchange for taking a knight.

“I’m sure your parents only want you to live up to your potential. But you can’t let their wishes dictate your life. Do what fulfills you. That is a lesson I had to learn the hard way.”

“They make it really hard sometimes. They always want me to work and work. Everyday. My brothers are both accomplished scholars, so I have a lot to live up to.” Bart was surrounding Kazimir’s final pieces now.  “Check.”

“Looks like you almost got me,” He quickly put in a block, but it was only to delay the inevitable. “It can be tough. As long as you keep moving forward and look to a future you want then you can make it through.” He paused for a moment and opened his king up to being taken.

“My family had plans for me. It took a long time, but I decided to walk my own path. And now, I am seeing the world and leaving in a way to bring pride to the Seiryu clan. Perceiver Bart.”

Bart moved in and took Kazimir’s king ending the game. “I see, thank you. That’s all I wanted. It was nice to have someone to talk to.” He placed the reward on the table, “You can still have it.” Bart still didn’t give too much of a smile but Kazimir could feel his appreciation.

“Anytime you want to talk, just find me. You won’t have to pay.” He grabbed the bag and left the table.    

Word count 1195/1000

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum