Welcome to Fairy Tail RPG, where your visions come true through your words. You control the destiny of your character. Do you have what it takes to bring the world to order or chaos?

You are not connected. Please login or register

(Quest - Ko Lesalt) Theater Antics: When Curtains Fall

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

#1Ko Lesalt 

(Quest - Ko Lesalt) Theater Antics: When Curtains Fall Empty Thu May 14, 2020 12:14 am

Ko Lesalt

After the previous two jobs he'd done for this Theater, Ko had been anticipating another messenger. What he hadn't expected was for a job to come through from someone other than Alice. Considering it was an actual job this time, instead of some weird reliability test, was probably thanks to it being a new requester.

It was also clear that this Rebecca woman wasn't afraid to put him up to more questionable tasks. Ko could definitely see how Alice had rubbed off on her. According to the details in the request, someone in the theater was bad mouthing Alice, likely in an attempt to undercut her. Ko didn't need to be a genius to realize that was a bad move. From their interactions during the Romeo and Juliet production, Ko had realized just how much clout Alice had. Trying to undermine her wouldn't have ended well, even with him getting involved.

Oddly, it seemed Alice was having trouble identifying exactly who was spreading the rumors, and this Rebecca girl was catching most of her Patron's sour moods. Considering the request made it clear that the rumors were to be stopped by any means, Ko got the feeling that Rebecca was dealing with a lot of pressure. She must have been, if she was willing to subtly order him to commit murder. She hadn't said it outright in her missive, but the implication was there. End the rumors, by any means necessary.

The part that really confused him was the rumors themselves. What was detailed in the missive was blatant lies, not the sort of thing that Alice would get caught doing. It was unusual, because it wasn't as if Alice never did anything unscrupulous. Whoever was spreading these rumors had a personal vendetta against Alice, but lacked any real evidence of misbehavior on Alice's part, so they'd resorted to lies. Unfortunately for them, that might actually make it easier to find them.

322/300

#2Ko Lesalt 

(Quest - Ko Lesalt) Theater Antics: When Curtains Fall Empty Thu May 14, 2020 12:37 am

Ko Lesalt

"So miss Alice got the leading role again."  "And you're surprised how, exactly?"  From his vantage point outside the communal dressing area where the supporting actors changed, Ko could hear yet another sordid conversation occurring.  He'd picked a good day to come in and investigate; the Director had just announced the roles for the Theater's next production, and everyone was tittering about.  Surprisingly, unlike what he'd encountered before, there was a lot of surly talk about Alice going around.  

He'd heard she was guilty of just about everything, from blackmail and bribery to outright sleeping her way into roles.  It was no wonder Alice was irritated enough to take it out on her underlings.  However, despite how prevalent the rumors were, Ko hadn't heard a whisper of where they were coming from.  "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.  If she's been kneeling for the Director half as much as I hear, she was bound to get the role."  "Where do you hear this drivel?  Alice wouldn't kneel for anyone, let alone that old fogey Monte."

Ko suppressed his desire to verbally agree with the second woman.  Those sorts of salacious insinuations were entirely outside of Alice's character.  He'd believe it if she was simply teasing the Director and leading him along, but actually offering sexual favors?  Not a chance.  "I'm serious!  Jessica was saying she caught sight of them in his office herself!"  Ko perked up immediately.  Finally, a name!  Not just a name, but a name that claimed a firsthand account.  

Before the other woman could rebut, Ko stepped into the dressing area and interrupted.  "Jessica who?"  Both women squeeled in shock, surprised at his sudden appearance and stony tone of voice.  The girl who had spoken first stared at him like a fish, her mouth opening and closing as she struggled to find her voice.  "I-I don't...um..."  Ko's stoic expression didn't change, but his gaze was fixed right on her eyes, watching them widen like a frightened doe.  "Her name."

The woman crumpled at the sound of voice, and finally answered him.  "J-J-Jessica D-Day.  She's o-one of Alice's understudies..."  And he had her.  Ko nodded to the girl once.  "Thank you."  Though his voice was flat and severe, his response washed the tension out of the woman's shoulders as he turned and walked away.  He had his quarry now.

398/300

#3Ko Lesalt 

(Quest - Ko Lesalt) Theater Antics: When Curtains Fall Empty Thu May 14, 2020 1:05 am

Ko Lesalt

Finding Jessica's room took a little more work than finding Alice's had been during that first job.  It was out of the way and featureless, couched among the rest of the rooms provided for supporting actors.  Certainly not as glamorous as Alice's was.  Upon finding it he entered quickly and without knocking, finding the actress tending to her hair, alone.  She turned at the sound of the door opening, only to find Ko standing in the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Who are-, no, I recognize you.  You're that man Alice has been bringing in for odd jobs."  The panicked uncertainty that had been about to take hold in the young woman was immediately overcome by disdain as she recognized him.  This was definitely the right woman.  Even his tangential relationship to Alice was enough to override this lady's better senses and leave her stewing in aggression.

"Stop spreading rumors about Alice Nightingale."  Ko didn't care what this woman's personal issue with Alice was.  Even he didn't specifically like Alice very much; she struck him as a manipulative shrew who took pleasure in not only controlling things but being the center of attention.  It was only natural she'd make enemies.  In this case, however, he was being paid to support her, and that was all he cared about.

Jessica Day scoffed aloud, standing up and putting a hand on her hips.  "So you really are just her loyal dog, aren't you?  Should I be offering you a biscuit for being a good boy?"  Ko stood his ground, utterly unimpressed by her taunting.  He'd been called worse.  "You should do as this dog says, rather than testing me."  It was as veiled a threat as he was willing to make, and it seemed to have no effect at all.  In fact, it seemed to make her even more angry.

"Shut up!  You're just like her, butting your nose in where it doesn't belong and trying to tell people what to do!  I don't care what you do, I'm not stopping until that bitch is out on her has-been ass and I'm getting the spotlight I deserve!"  With each sentence, the angered young actress had advanced on Ko, until she was poking him in the chest with her finger.  Ko's lips thinned as he fought the frown threatening to grow.  He'd had a feeling it would come to this.

Jessica had been ready to continue her tirade, but her voice died as a violet light suddenly shone behind Ko, a magic seal expanding before his own body exhibited the same glow.  She made to take a step back in surprise, only for Ko's hands to shoot forward and grab her, snaking around her neck and shoulders until she was clutched in a tense chokehold.  His limbs were like iron, tightening and tightening as she slapped at his arms weakly, until a dull *CRUNCH* echoed in the room, and Jessica went limp in Ko's grip.

390/300

#4Ko Lesalt 

(Quest - Ko Lesalt) Theater Antics: When Curtains Fall Empty Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 am

Ko Lesalt

Ko actually took the time to knock on Rebecca Parker's dressing room door. Couldn't take the chance that he'd offend his employer, after all. A soft voice gave him permission to enter, and he did so, finding Rebecca dressed and waiting for him. In fact, she looked like she'd been waiting for him all day, nervously at that. Whatever behavior she'd been getting from Alice must have been worse than Ko thought.

"Well? I hope you're not here to report failure." Oh yeah, this one was definitely Alice's protege. She had the haughty tone down and everything. All she had to do was work on her delivery and her confidence and she'd be a perfect copy. Crossing his arms behind his back, Ko answered with a tone of objective professionalism. "I have identified the culprit behind the rumors, and as instructed, they have been dealt with."

Like an invisible weight was being lifted off of Rebecca, her shoulder suddenly rolled back and became much straighter. She sighed, ever so slightly, closing her eyes as she savored the feeling of a problem being solved. "Who was it?" Her tone was only slightly inquisitive, like her interest in who had been responsible was only incidental. "Jessica Day. You'll need to remove her from her dressing room if you want to avoid unnecessary attention." That seemed like it should go without saying, but he never knew with these civilian contractors.

"Of course. I'll arrange to have the room cleaned. Did anyone notice you?" Ko shook his head. He'd waited in the room to see if anyone came running, but it seemed his action had been quick and quiet enough. Rebecca actually smiled then. "Good. I'm glad you're holding up to the standard Alice has touted. Your reward, as promised." She held out a heft purse towards him, which he took with an even gaze. With his pay in hand, he turned to leave. "I'll be sure to let Alice know how useful you were resolving this issue, Ko Lesalt."

Yeah. I bet you will.

348/300

1458/500

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum