Welcome to Fairy Tail RPG, where your visions come true through your words. You control the destiny of your character. Do you have what it takes to bring the world to order or chaos?

You are not connected. Please login or register

checkmate [quest]

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

#1Briar Caidh 

checkmate [quest] Empty Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:17 pm

Briar Caidh
Briar was no stranger to the city park in Hargeon - all considered, he spent a fairer time here than by the waters it was known for (at least, until recently, due to his time with Raina and his newfound pollution activism). He was most at peace surrounded by its gentle greenery and the chatter of people. He didn't so much involve himself with them as bask in their presence, warmed by company and the playful sounds that filled the air.

This time was no different. It mattered only where Briar's gaze landed, scrunched up in a ball with arms linked about his knees on a sturdy wooden bench. This time it would be Bart, a regular alongside him at the park and the current subject of Briar's innocent people watching. He had grown used to the groans and cackles from the chess tables until they blent with the rest of the environment, though he hadn't found the chance or personal interest in trying the game out for himself. It was the sound of that titular "checkmate!" that drew his eyes, and the resulting, disappointed "can't anyone give me a real challenge?" that perked his ears.

Well, Briar had been feeling adventurous lately, and a call to action was a call for help all the same. He was a legal mage, himself, now, and that gave him the chance - with this as a push - to put himself a little more 'out there.' "U-uhm!" He spoke up, the sound a clearing bell. He untangled himself from himself, only to stand wobbled on his feet and right his movement with little arm waves. "I can try, Bart, if'll have me." A smile offered.

[301]

#2Briar Caidh 

checkmate [quest] Empty Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:53 pm

Briar Caidh
Immediately in it was going perhaps as well as expected. Bart had lit up - cute, really, and adding a nervous blush to Briar's cheeks at the attention - and then rushed into arguing for a bet to go with it. It went as such:

"A ... a bet? Like, Jewels? Uh --"
"Yeah! Any game's a lot more fun with something on the line, Bri! It makes you try harder --"
"Gosh, I, uhm, don't really keep much money on me --"
"-- and the mages here could REALLY benefit from trying harder. I know I'm good, but that doesn't really --"
"I have about a thousand Jewel ... it's for lunch ..."
"-- give everyone else the excuse to barely try, especially when they challenge me. So 1000j? Sound good, Bri?"

Briar looked positively dizzy by the end of the interaction, but acquiesced. He'd just have to try extra hard: both for Bart and his tummy. This, too, went over as well as anyone could assume. With no prior experience and the knowledge of the game second-hand from watching occasionally, Briar stumbled through his first pawn movements and quickly found himself overwhelmed.

Bart was, at least, respectful in the course of the game despite his righteous confidence, and he sucked in a breath each time before he could express disappointment at Briar's play. The Soul Dew Mage, for his part, smiled along with his tongue between his lips in thought. Bart couldn't help the lower of his guard. Knight to G8. He sighed. "You know, I don't try to be mean about it all, Bri. It's just that ..." Briar glanced up, cheeks sharp, and slowed to let Bart talk while he stared down at the board. He went on to explain that everyone around him, his brothers, his parents -- they all wanted him to succeed. Maybe more than he did, sometimes. He just didn't want to lag behind.

Check. "I like being good at this. I mean, really really good. It's so cool that I can keep up with mages on a chessboard even without magic." Check. "But I don't want to be a bully. I'm just stressed, I guess. A little lonely sometimes. Is that ... okay?"

Briar smiles at him before getting checked again. He was just stalling his life at this point. Laughs a soft, melodic laugh, the sound as carefree as the breeze. "I think it's amazing you're so passionate about something, Bart. I've never been very - uhm - competitive, but I think if there's anything worth caring this much about, it's something you love. ... Mmm. As long as you love it, right?"

Bart exhaled, moving one more piece for game. Checkmate. It went unspoken. "You don't have to be lonely, if that's the case. You have something you love. And you have people that love it, too. And people like me - that love that you love it. Yeah?" Briar beams as Bart's lips quiver, straightening to a firm line and a look away from the table. Briar helpfully plays along, patting himself on the knee with a tut at the boardstate. "I guess lunch is on me though, ehe. Golly, Bart, well played. Eh? I'll have to practice real hard to do better next time we play."

A quiet moment. "... Thas okay. A-hm. Let me. I ... got what I wanted. ... Good game."

[621 | 922]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum